Friday, February 23, 2007

life is strange, does that make me a stranger?


Speaking of strange, I woke up to -23 degrees this morning. I'd forgotten what it feels like to have your nose hairs freeze. Not entirely unpleasant, but definitely a sign that warm clothes are warranted. It's about 4 above now, and I just got back from a walk and my brain cells are thawing . . .

So, about the second half of my trip--

As I stood in line to board my very tardy plane to Anchorage, I struck up a conversation with a young lady from Minnesota. She told me she was married and going to Fairbanks to meet up with her husband. She also said this was her very first time to travel by plane.

Reporter that I am, I began to ask her questions. It turned out that that not only had Nicole never been on a plane before, she'd actually never met the guy she was meeting in Fairbanks who actually is not her husband. She'd met him over the Internet through the friend of a friend, and the two of them thought it might be fun to "play house" in the middle of winter in Fairbanks.

"What do your parents think about this?" I asked. Nicole looked all of 18.

"They said I can always come back home if it doesn't work out," she assured me.

Something prompted me to hand her my business card.

"Nicole, I'd love it if you email me and let me know how things are going."

She was thrilled. "Wow, thanks! I will email you every detail!"

We were sitting on different ends of the plane, so I never saw her again. But I've been praying for her and wondering how her first night with her "husband" went.

The next 5 1/2 hours didn't exactly fly by, but I managed to entertain myself. I:


  • jiggled a very cute baby to sleep while her exhausted mom took a break

  • got ice packs for the very obnoxious lady from New Jersey who sat next to me

  • talked to the very nice gay flight attendant

  • read a book on how to host a really cheap wedding

  • did the crossword puzzle

  • slept

  • prayed

But I made it, and am smack dab in the middle of the InterAct Winter retreat. But that's another topic . . . which I will blog about shortly.

1 comments:

danielle said...

you have a very interesting life.

Who links to my website?