Monday, August 06, 2007

foolish things



Weakness is difficult to embrace. Especially in our power-hungry culture. In America--and in the western church--we celebrate strength, skill, health and prosperity. Brokeness is an embarassment and weakness is not tolerated.

But the Bible is filled with verses about being weak, broken, and poor. And, according to God's perspective, these are desirable traits!

Check this out:

"Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are--so that no one may boast before him." I Cor. 1:26-29

If God chooses the weak, lowly and foolish then I'm on the right team!

Did you catch His reason for choosing the world's rejects: "that no one may boast before him."

Hmmm, reminds me of another verse. You've seen it--the one in my profile. "I will glory--boast--in my weakness, for then the power of Christ rests on me."

Paul gets it. He's not boasting about his strengths. He's bragging about his weakness! He's learned--the hard way, I'm sure--that we can only move in His power when we acknowledge how utterly impotent we are.

I'm just a storyteller at heart, not a theologian, but I can tell you that this verse illustrates the story of my life. When I stop relying on my own resources (which are pitifully few)and look to the Lord for His provision, the fruit is always good and all the glory goes to Him.

And that's something this foolish heart can boast about!