Thursday, June 05, 2008

the end of the world as we know it


I have a friend who has been forwarding me links to some interesting articles lately. Actually, they are pretty depressing--worst-case scenarios about the state of our economy and other such uplifting topics. The articles remind me of some of the Y2K hysteria I got caught up in back in 1999--we still have buckets of beans and bags of rice moldering away in our crawlspace. Greg wouldn't let me buy gas masks, but we've got some pretty cool survival gear . . .

So this time around, I'm not letting the doom and gloomers get to me. For one thing, the Lord has dealt with the spirit of Fear that tormented me most of my life. Stuff just doesn't scare me like it used to. I'm not in denial--I went to the gas station and grocery store yesterday and was shocked at how prices had risen for food and fuel in just a week--I'm just more confident in the truth that God will provide for me. My confidence isn't in beans or gold or bomb shelters--it is in the Lord Almighty, the maker of Heaven and earth.


Want to know what to invest in during these times of economic insecurity? The Lord is pretty clear about it: Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven. Invest in His Kingdom, store up His Word in your heart, care for the poor and speak up for those who can't speak up for themselves.


Blessed is he who considers the poor; the Lord will deliver him in times of trouble.
The Lord will preserve him and keep him alive . . . he will be blessed on the earth. Ps. 41:1,2