Monday, October 20, 2008

Unless the Lord Builds the House . . .


I've been praying a lot for our country lately. There is so much that ails America right now--from the economy to the political process--that it is easy to get discouraged.

But I read a quote by Ben Franklin that greatly encouraged me today. His words will definitely shape the way I pray for the US:

"The longer I live, the more convincing proof I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. If a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the sacred writings that "Unless the Lord builds the house, they labour in vain." I firmly believe this, and I also believe that without His aid, we shall proceed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel."

Lord, come build this house we call America! Lay her foundations with Your truth and justice! Raise up Jesus as our Cornerstone. Let those who govern this country lead us on their knees . . .