Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I wish we'd all been ready . . .

For as long as I can recall, I've been fascinated by all things apocalyptic. I've always had the strongest notion that I would live through the end times. In fact, I was so convinced of this that I made my poor children watch the "Thief in the Night" movies when they were quite young.

In case you missed them, this series of very poorly-made flicks from the '70s depicted the terrors that believers would face in the last days--if they missed the rapture. I don't believe in a pre-trib rapture, so I'm not sure why I made my kids watch those terrible movies. I think I just wanted them prepared for the hard times ahead. I didn't want them caught off guard should persecution rear it's nasty head.

Of course, my children now say those movies caused them great harm and that they will need counseling for at least 100 years. They were especially traumatized the scene where those who refused to follow the Beast had their heads removed by a ghastly guillotine (as Larry Norman's "I Wish We'd All Been Ready" played softly in the background). The movie didn't actually show the beheadings, of course, but you definitely got the idea.

Oh, they'll get over it. And they may be more ready than they know to face whatever lies ahead.

I told Greg the other night that I kind of feel like we are all aboard the Titanic. And we've hit an iceberg that's done irreparable damage--but know one seems to know or care. We are carrying on with life as usual . . . but the ship is going down.

Maybe not tomorrow--or even next year. But it's going to take an act of God to plug this leak.

Ah, maybe it's just me. Maybe our country will stay afloat with our new president at the helm.

But I've got a sudden urge to listen to some Larry Norman tunes. . .