Sunday, April 05, 2009

The plot thickens . . .

Yesterday, my friend Val and I showed up at 8 a.m. at the community garden plot to help put up a fence around its perimeter. We met Mitch, the garden organizer, and turned in our application for a 15' x 20' plot. We opted for the biggest size available, since our two families, Danielle and Krispin and the Somalis will all be sharing this space.
We met lots of interesting folks as we cemented fence posts into the swampy ground. No kidding--the soil was so wet that we just dumped bags of dry cement into the post holes and stirred. No need to add water! We all had a ton of muddy fun . . .

It was such a gorgeous, sunny day yesterday--I think we almost hit 70 degrees--that I came home and painted the tub 'o grub red. I got excited to see the beet and radish sprouts pushing up through the dirt. The cauliflower looked a little mangy--we had freezing temps the night before last--but over all, the tub is looking good.

So, I had my sleep study on Thursday night. We showed up at the clinic at 8 and I was escorted to my room, which could have been your basic lodging at a Holiday Inn. At 9:30, the sleep technician came in and spent 20 minutes hooking me up to wires, sensors and electrode, designed to measure brain activity, heart rate, eye and limb movement, breathing, etc. I felt pretty wired when she was finished :) She told me that she'd monitor me closely for the first half of the night and would hook me up to a cpap machine around 2 a.m. if I showed any signs of apnea. If I didn't, she'd just let me sleep.

I was actually able to fall asleep without sleep aids, but woke up in some discomfort about 12:30. After 30 minutes of trying to find a position where wires weren't being smashed into my face, I gave up and took an ambien. I woke up at 5:30 and buzzed the technician, letting her know I was done with sleep. She came in and unhooked me and informed me that she'd seen no unusual activity while I'd snoozed.

When the doctor came in later that morning, he confirmed her observation.
"I don't know why you aren't sleeping, but you don't have sleep apnea," he told me.

While I was a little bummed not to have a diagnosis, I can't say I'll miss being attached to that attractive little cpap machine every night. I would have felt like Darth Vader's bride . . .


Nadia said...

We had a great time out there with the posts, can't wait to see what's going to come of the garden! When is the next hike?

Who links to my website?