Sunday, June 28, 2009

peace chimes


"Let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger. For the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God." James 1:20



My head is in full compliance with this awesome Bible verse . . .

But some days my heart wants to punch a few lights out!

I knew I was in a bad place a few weeks ago when I was out sanding our back deck. At one point, I found myself day-dreaming about sanding the smile off the face of a certain person who'd offended me.

Scandalized by the ugliness of my own heart, I called a friend and confessed my angry thoughts. Naomi listened patiently and said she'd pray for me. I felt a little better after 'fessing up to my stuff, but still sensed a lingering bitterness in my soul.

The next day I was out running wedding errands in the miata. Shopping completed, I hopped in my car and found a present in the passenger seat. I unwrapped it and found a beautiful cross-shaped wind-chime.

Intrigued, I opened the card that came with the gift.

"When ever you hear the chimes sing, forgive . . . love, Naomi."

As soon as I got home, I hung those chimes in my backyard, suspended over our well-sanded deck. Within moments, a breeze kicked up and the chimes did their thing, filling the yard with their sweet music.

Before my heart could clench itself into an angry fist yet again, I took a deep breath and prayed. I prayed blessing over the person who'd hurt me. I asked for God's forgiveness for my own bitter heart. I prayed for healing of relationships. I prayed for God to bring glory to His name.

And everytime the wind blows around here, I lift up those prayers again. And again and again and again . . .

Magic chimes they're not. But forgiveness is supernatural, and the more I pray, the less angry--and more restored--I feel.

So, thank you Naomi, for obeying God's voice and blessing me with such and amazing gift! Those chimes have brought music to my ears . . . and healing to my soul.