Friday, August 28, 2009

To Bob and Mary, with love . . .

Kudos to my in-laws! I don't even like to use that term because they've been like parents to me since I married into the Strannigan clan. Not only have Bob and Mary been consistent models of the Christian life; they've also invested a lot of love, time and prayer in me.

And they've gifted me with every cooking-related item you can image!

In my present state of domestic enlightenment, I look back wistfully at the wonderful gizmos and gadgets that have graced my kitchen over the years. I regret to say that some have moved on: the electric meat slicer (Greg loved the thing, but I was afraid I'd lose a finger), the bread machine (I really tried, but the little paddle thingy would always come off and get stuck in the loaf, rendering my bread dense and squatty), the food processor, the electric carving knife, the fondue and s'more-making kits . . . .

Some user-friendly items still remain: the pastry set (purchased for me when I was a dessert chef at a dude ranch in Wyoming. But that's another story), the griddle I got as a wedding present and the nifty vacuum-sealer (dubbed the "food printer" by Krispin) that I now use every day.

And of course, there's the Strannigan family cookbook! The ruined fudge recipe has been life-changing for me--and for all who've sampled it's decadent goo. To quote Allan Godsiff: "It's the beast!"

And though I've been a bit slow to climb aboard the culinary train, I'm hoping the recessive cooking gene lurking in the backwaters of my DNA has finally kicked in!

I actually bought a small food processor and a bread machine at a garage sale today--and I intend to use them! I've started reading food blogs, watching Paula Deen and day-dreaming about savory tomato tarts . . .

So thank you, Bob and Mary, for your patient encouragement in this under-developed area of my life. Maybe I'll actually have a few recipes to contribute to the family cookbook for the next addition!

2 comments:

Debra said...

sounds like you have wonderful parents in love! My mom used to say that God needed me to be doing other things than cleaning (I would rather be doing anything but cleaning- but it gets done) I am sure the same applies to you- God had other things for you to be doing than developing a passion for the culinary arts. Now is your time.

Krispin said...

ok, i love all of your blogs (especially the one about dad preaching) but something in this one made me want to tell you that today at subway i definetly ordered a "roast beast" sandwich. this is danielle, btw, not krispin.

Who links to my website?