Sunday, October 04, 2009

dei volente

I've learned some cool concepts while visiting my friends on the mountain. A few weeks ago, K. taught me the wonderful phrase "dei volente." It means "God willing" and was often used by godly men of old to close their hand-written letters.

During this crazy, transitional season of our lives, "God willing" is becoming our signature as well. Greg and I have learned, on a daily basis, that His ways are not our ways and that if we are truly seeking His will, we'd better buckle up for a very wild ride. I've definitely experienced some emotional whiplash from trying to peer into the future--I'd feel much less bruised if I'd just kept my eyes on Him during this zig-zaggy journey.

And some of the folks around me would feel less jerked around if I'd learned the concept of dei volente a little sooner . . .

We've had more options and opportunities thrown at us the past few months than we've known how to process. With every door the Lord closes, it seems He opens several windows--and we are back to trying to discern His will. This process has been exhilarating, exhausting, frustrating and humbling. But it is training us to trust in the Lord and lean not on our own understanding on a daily basis . . .

We hit another major bend in the road yesterday and I've been asking the Lord to show us His will regarding our next steps. So I thought it providential that the "verse for the day" I found in my inbox this morning was: Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. I Thessalonians 5:16-18.

So dei volente, I will be joyful, prayerful and thankful today. And tomorrow, I may go and have that little phrase tatooed on my forehead as a daily reminder of this big lesson I'm learning . . .

1 comments:

God's Missions said...

Good morning fried, you so understand where I find myself. The doors that close and than the small fragment of time that I get to glance through another window and its gone. Your post speaks staight to my heart. Thank you for being so ope to our Gods speaking,
dei volente
Nadine

Who links to my website?