Wednesday, November 11, 2009

extra msg added

You may or may not be interested, but here are some things I've learned about MSG in my recent research. I've suspected that I'm MSG-sensitive for years, so have been trying to figure out how to avoid the tasty culprit.

1. MSG, monosodium glutamate, is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, a non-essential amino acid. Too much of this substance in our bodies can be toxic and people have differing levels of sensitivity to glutamates.

2. MSG and related glutamates containing substances have a variety of names, such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, and more . . . gelatin (including the gelatin capsules many supplements come in) contains MSG

3. MSG is not a seasonsing, but a flavor-enhancing neurotransmitter that can actually destroy brain cells.

4. Headaches are the most frequently reported reaction to MSG, but stomach issues, mood disorders, insomnia, irregular heart beat/chest pains, asthma, ADHD, and a host of other symptoms are connected to the substance.

5. The amount of MSG in processed food has doubled over the past 10 years

6. MSG can take up to 24 hours after ingestion to cause a reaction, so most people don't realize their symptoms are MSG-related

7. Some researchers believe there are links between MSG ingestion and ALS, Parkinson's Disease, Autism, sleeping disorders, and many more serious conditions


This is just the tip of the ice berg. If you want to know more, there are some great websites. www.msgmyth.com is good for starters. I just finished reading "Excitotoxins, the taste the kills" by Dr. Blaylock and am now reading "Battling the MSG Myth" by Dabbie Anglesey.

I never could figure out why I still had reactions (my digestive system hates MSG, I have immediate stomach issues after ingestion), but after the research I've done I realize that just the supplements I take add up to a lot of glutamates in my diet via the gel-caps. I am now experimenting with supplements (in vegetarian capsules) that are reported to block MSG reactions.

BTW, this post is dedicated to my good friend Alex who likes to ask for "extra MSG" when we dine at asian restaurants ;)