Friday, January 01, 2010

20/10 vision


I think there's something a little prophetic in the fact that I received my new glasses on the cusp of the new year. After six months of problems, delays and multiple changes, I finally am able to see clearly. Both up close and distance.

I can read the street signs when I'm driving now. I can recognize the people waving at me across the street. I can blog without squinting and see the 800 number on the back of my credit card . . . these specs were worth the wait!

Speaking of waiting, if the Lord drilled any lesson into my little pea brain this year, it was: WAIT ON HIM! Seriously, most of the trauma or distress I experience this year came as the direct result of running ahead of God. And the greatest benefits I reaped occurred in the context of waiting patiently on Him.

And believe me, waiting isn't for the faint of heart. It involves a full arsenal of spritual disciplines such as obedience, trust and fervent prayer. Sometimes I think waiting can wear a soul out more thoroughly than the fiercest battle. But He always provides rest for the weary . . .

In the course of my waiting, there were many amazing blessings and accomplishments this past year. Candyce got engaged to Stephen. I celebrated 32 years of wedded bliss to my best friend. Lindsay married Nich and another awesome son was added to our family. Krispin graduated from Multnomah and Danielle started her Master's program. There was a fruitful trip to Alaska and a successful mountain climb. I learned firsthand about reaping and sowing in my own little garden and then discovered the delights of canning and cooking my healthy harvest.

As I stand at the brink of a new year, I find myself still waiting. Still straining to hear His quiet voice say, "This is the way, walk ye in it." Still scanning the horizon for mileposts to point the way. Still wondering if our future will ever come into focus . . .

My friend, Dave Proehl, commented on his FB status recently that "2010 means good vision." I had to ponder that for a moment, but then his play on words struck me as rather prophetic, too.

But we'll just to "wait and see" . . . :)