Monday, March 01, 2010

fearfully and wonderfully made

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:14-16

I believe that life begins at conception. And that God has amazing plans for each one of us before we're even born.

That's why I've already started praying for my sweet little grandchild, who won't make an entrance into this world until late September.

Yep, Danielle and Krispin are expecting! I am finally going to be a grandma!!!!

(Except Danielle reminded me the other day that I've always maintained I wanted to be a jolly, fat grandma, just like my great-grandma Thurow. While it's true that I still equate heaven with her cherry pies and bosomy hugs, I think I will just work on the jolly aspect for now ;)

So what am I praying for the little Mayfield-to-be? I'm praying that this child will be sanctified in the Truth, will walk in the grace and wisdom of God, will follow Jesus wherever He goes. That no weaponed formed against my grandchild will prosper, that all the Lord's good purposes for this little one will be fulfilled.

And . . . that I am never more that a few hours away from my first grandbaby!


On a more somber note, I saw this week that a woman in Florida, Angie Jackson, Tweeted about her own abortion. She described in graphic detail her experience after taking the abortion pill. She did it, she said, to "demystify" abortion.

Perhaps because I am thinking and praying for the unborn child in my own life, I was especially grieved by Angie's decision. Saddened for the life cut short, for sure, but even more heartbroken for the mother who could "twitter" about the bloody ending of her baby's life.

I wonder what Jesus would say to Angie today? I know He would tell the folks who are attacking and threatening her to put down their stones. I think He would look past her brazen expression, gaze into her wounded heart, and tell her that He loves her unconditionally. Maybe He'd describe how He helped the Father custom design her and draft up good plans for her life--before Angie ever left her mother's womb.

And then I think Jesus would wipe away Angie's tears and invite her to follow Him . . .