Thursday, June 24, 2010

God is my realtor

The older I get, the more I realize that there really is no division between the sacred and the secular. God is in everything--even real estate--if we invite Him.

A few months ago, I wrote about the difficulties I encountered in having new glasses made. As the months blurred by--with no specs in sight--I began to realize that this was not just about my vision--it was about seeing the situation through God's eyes. One day it dawned on me that God cared more about my optician's heart than He did my eyesight!

So, I adjusted my attitude and tried to see the situation--and the people--through God's eyes. I wasn't nearly as frustrated after that . . .

I'm sensing a similar scenario with the sale of our house. We put it on the market a few weeks ago--and we just met with a couple who presented a full-price offer!

It's a pretty cool story, actually. On the eve of June 17, as I was drifting off to sleep, I told the Lord that an offer on our house would make an awesome birthday present. So why should I have been surprised when Wayne (God's little helper) called the next day (my birthday) to inform me that an offer had been made on our house!

We aren't packing yet, however, because the offer is contingent on the sale of the buyer's home . . .

At first, I was a little disappointed with the contingency. It's not like houses are selling like hotcakes these days. But the more I thought and prayed about it, I realized that there's a lot more transpiring than just the sale of our house.

I've actually been praying for the future owners of our home for about six months now. Rather than petitioning God for a quick sale or a big profit, I've been asking Him to bring a family who would love and appreciate our home as much as we have!

Based on our interactions with the couple who made the offer, I think He's answered our prayers. The potential buyers actually used the word "love" several times in referring to our humble abode--I think they even liked my crazy paint job and tub 'o grub!

While waiting for their house to sell to proceed with the transaction might not seem optimal to some, I've come to the unshakeable conclusion that God's timing is perfect. And Greg and I aren't in a hurry--we don't have to move out of the area at any set time. We plan on just renting a smaller place in the Portland area after our house sells.

Of course, it needs to have space for a garden and enough room for my grandbabies . . .

It even occurred to me yesterday that perhaps the perfect place for us won't be available for a while. . . . like until after our potential buyers' house sells!

So, no worries, mate! With God as our realtor, how can we lose?