Thursday, August 03, 2006

Gethsemane


I found a new picture of Jesus today. It's the one where He is kneeling in a darkened garden, facing heavenward, in obvious anguish of soul. It's the Gethsemane moment, where He prayed "Not My will, but Yours be done."
Every time I come upon a new picture of Jesus, it seems to reflect and confirm what He is doing in my heart. Not that I am faced with anything as agonizing as His encounter with the cross.
But mine is a small crucifixion, still. And my flesh will try a million ways to wriggle out of the embrace of death.
"Not Thy will, but MINE be done" would be the cry of my selfish heart.
Yesterday I listened to my "Dwell" CD again and sang along with track 1, meaning it with all my heart:
Not my will, but Yours be done
Come and change us
Not my will, but Yours be done
Come sustain us . . .


What He is asking me to do, become a small sparrow once again, is such a small thing in the light of Gethsemane.

1 comments:

danielle said...

i love my mom. i think you should get a sparrow tattoo . . . you know, to celebrate the big 5-0.

Who links to my website?