Wednesday, January 17, 2007

snow day!!!!!


Hurray for snow days! When Greg brought me my cup of coffee yesterday (he delivers the goods while I'm still in bed!), he told me to peek out the window.
"It's a winter wonderland out there!" he said, sounding like an excited young boy.
While I sipped my coffee, he left for his daily workout at the gym. He was back in 30 minutes, with a Starbucks latte' in hand.
"The roads are so slick, people are sliding off the road everywhere! I don't think you should go to work today!" he informed me.
As it turned out, most of Portland didn't go to work yesterday. Or today, for that matter. Nearly all of Portland's schools were closed, much to the students' delight. We puttered around all morning, drinking coffee in our PJ's (Danielle and I) and watching cars sliding into each other on TV. Yellie even baked a crumb cake.
At about 11 a.m., Krispin showed up at the backdoor, looking like a frozen Russian poet. The brave lad had bicycled from Multnomah to our house--a 12 mile trip that took him 2 hours. He was wearing tennis shoes and a thin fleece jacket.
Ah, the things we do for love!
After Krispin warmed up a bit, we decided to have a snow adventure and took off for the Safeway shopping center. The intersection of 122nd and Sunnyside turned out to be one of the iciest in the Portland area yesterday and the Channel 8 news team was getting all the action on camera. Vehicles were sliding, kids were sledding, people were cross-country skiing across the snowy parking lots--the atmosphere was rather carnival-like. Even the folks who were stranded were of good cheer, many of them swapping stories while they sipped hot drinks from the corner Starbucks. At least they weren't closed!
That evening, our neighbors came over to show us the ultrsound pictures of their baby. They'd celebrated their snow day by making a little snow family in their front yard, complete with a wee snow-baby with a little blue bib. Since we normally don't get enough snow in Portland to make a decent snow man, let alone a snow family, I captured their day's work on film.
I'm working from home today, but I think I'll take a break in a bit and maybe try my hand at making a snow dog . . .

1 comments:

Krispin Mayfield said...

There's no other place I'd rather be snowed in than at the Strannigans.

Who links to my website?