Tuesday, October 30, 2007

turbulence


turbulence (noun): a state of violent agitation.

Yep, that describes our flight from Portland to Anchorage yesterday. It may well have been the bumpiest flight I've ever experienced!

For most of the 4 1/2 hour flight, I chatted with my seat mate, a nice lady who's spent her last 40 years in Alaska. Becky has never married or had children and her life revolves around her 3 dogs. She's thinking about purchasing a Sheltie puppie this week, so of course I had to tell her all about Scout.

She may be having second thoughts now . . .

Anyway, I didn't get the vibe that she was religious until the turbulence started. Now keep in mind that this gal is a seasoned traveler--she's been all over Alaska in small planes and has made the trip to Portland and back more times than she could recount . . . but I'm telling you, this was one bumpy ride!

And the turbulence seemed to last forever. I just shut my eyes and prayed for either a quick landing or a quick death. I felt Becky reach for my hand a few times and once she even uttered a prayer:

"Dear God, help us! This ride is the sh-ts!"

"Amen"! I agreed.

Greg, who was sitting on the other side of me, remained silent. He told me later he was focusing all his energy on not depositing his supper in the barf bag.

We all survived and Greg and I are now settled in our B & B in Homer, Alaska, looking out over my beloved Kachemak Bay. Sure, we cheat death again (or so I imagine) nearly every time we make the trip up here--but it's worth it.

It will take more than a little turbulence to keep me from the place where my heart feels most at home . . .