Wednesday, September 10, 2008

wisdom from above


I'm reading through James, a very practical little book. I came across a verse in chapter 3 that smacked me up the side of my head.

It's James 3:18, if you want to get precise. And I happen to read the New King James version:

"For the wisdom that comes from above is first of all pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy."

There's a lot to unpack in that sentence. I was instantly convicted by my own glaring lack of wisdom in my recent conversations.
Had I been peaceable, gentle and willing to yield when it came to discussing politics with folks who hold different views? Not exactly . . .

Did I respond with pure motives, full of mercy and good fruit when advising friends and family who'd been unjustly treated? Um, probably not . . .

And when I reacted verbally to percieved wrongs against myself, did I respond without hypocrisy, knowing that I've harmed others in much more serious ways? Don't even want to go there . . .

You get the picture. And so did I, so I repented for my folly and asked God to make me truly wise.

And I'm pretty sure that's one prayer He really likes to answer: "For if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all liberally and without reproach. And it will be given to him." James 1:5 (see, I told you it's a great little book!)

Hmmm. What would our planet look like if we all got up and prayed for His wisdom each morning . . .