Monday, March 16, 2009

Impatient . . or is it impatiens?




I live in a society that worships instant gratification--so is it any wonder I didn't plant seeds and wait for them to sprout, but went right for the plant starts. As soon as the dirt settled, I headed to the nursery and bought anything that might possibly survive our chilly spring. I got:
Trailing rosemary, thyme and strawberries to grow down the sides of the hot tub
Pansies, which are edible and will give a bit of color to my garden
broccoli (which I planted in the hot tub)
peas (which are in their own little planter and have a cool wrought iron head board to vine around).

I also got lots of seeds--who knew there were such things as rainbow carrots and watermelon radishes! Woohoo! I'm going to have the best looking salads around!

But my friend and master gardener, Lynda, told me I can't plant them yet (well, actually she did think the radishes would be OK), and I am grateful for her coaching.
I even bought a big trash can today so I can start my very first compost pile.
I hope to bring home some hearty little greens from NW Organic Farms tomorrow. We planted arugula, spinach, kale, and I don't remember what else.

I still can't believe I'm doing this. But like the little plaque at the feet of St. Francis reads: "With God all things are possible."