Monday, June 08, 2009

reaping what I've sown


So far, the great tub 'o grub experiment has been wildly successful! There have been a few failures, of course:

I lost all my first batch of basil because I put it out way too early . . .

My radishes came out bitter and gnarled as a tree root. My friend at NW Organic Farm told me that root veggies need sandy (or clay) soil to develop properly. The lovely organic compost that fills my hot tub was way too porous for the little radishes. I'm still hoping my beets and carrots turn out to be edible. OK, I'm praying . . .

Two of my cauliflower plants were murdered by some critter I never could identify. Two are hanging in there, with little cauliflowers peeking hopefully through the perforated leaves.

But other than that, I'm happily munching on the first fruits of my garden. Broccoli, peas, lettuce, onions, herbs (basil, dill, cilantro, oregano and thyme) are showing up in salads and stir fry. I pluck a handful of juicy strawberries every day now. I've even picked a pepper!

I'm waiting patiently for my beans, cucumbers and tomatoes . . . and you should see the pears on my little tree! My grape vines are thriving and there are even a few little blueberries on the bushes out front. Who knew one little urban back yard and one inexperienced gardener could produce such a bountiful harvest . . .

. . . with a lot of help from friends and the Master Gardener!